Thursday, May 17, 2018

125th Anniversary Celebration - Doris Dunn

There is a special story connected to this Ceremony of Remembrance.  It is shared after Mrs. Dunn’s summary of her service.  I hope you are as touched by this story as much as I continue to be.

Doris Allen Dunn
Mrs. Langdon Barmore
State Regent 1985-1988
#393281
                   24 May 1914
                   5 Mar 2007
                   Aged 92
                             Magnolia Cemetery
                             Latta, Dillon County, SC


Doris Dunn served during the NSDAR Centennial Administration under the Centennial Theme, "A Century of Service to the Nation.”  A special emphasis was placed on the second fifty years, 1940-1990.  A history of Tamassee including the renovation of the SC Cottage was asked to be written. This history would be used in the book pertaining to the history of the SCDAR for the Centennial celebration to be concluded April 1988.

In the book for the celebration of the Centennial, SCDAR was asked to prepare the section of the South Carolina Centennial report relating to the Old Exchange Building restoration in Charleston as well as to prepare the history of the SC Period Room in Washington. The History of the South Carolina Daughters of the American Revolution Volume IV, 1976-1988 Condensed Highlights for the Centennial will include these special projects of the SCDAR. The main state project of this State Regent was the publication of a Roster of Membership, S.C. State Society, NSDAR 1954-1988 and Ancestral Roll.

The SC State Society honored her by refurnishing a bathroom in the SC Cottage at Tamassee and the State DAR School Chairman, Mrs. Lipscomb, by restoring the playground behind the SC Cottage and placing suitable equipment there. In addition, other updates were made to continue to make Tamassee a wonderful place for the children to live. A linen drive for all cottages was held, and all tables in the dining room were restored in the condition that was demanded by the SC Health Department.

In the South Carolina Period Room, a pair of original Charleston andirons were donated and placed in the room adding to its charm.

Doris Dunn stated that serving as State Regent was a distinct honor, a high privilege, and a great pleasure.  




If you are a church-goer, then you have often heard that God is working behind the scenes putting people and situations in position for things to work out for you according to His will.  When something comes to fruition in my life, I love to look back and see how it all came together.  Often times though, you don’t know how you are being used by God to bring about certain things in other people’s lives.  Recently, I have been reflecting on this and seeing how God is using me to help others through my project "Reflections of Our Treasured Past."  Today’s blog post is just one of those stories which is thanks to a white carnation tied with a blue ribbon.

In this story, God started using me to work on this one special assurance for this person many years ago with the creation of my project “Reflections of Our Treasured Past.”   You know my passion with my work on this and how it naturally led Dianne to select me as the SCDAR 125 Chair.  In planning for the 125th celebration at state conference, the thought, “You need to do something on the actual anniversary day,” kept coming to mind.  Then, last year, an idea was placed in my mind about putting a flower on each deceased state regent’s grave at a set time on the actual day of the 125th anniversary of the SCDAR.  With all of the preparations toward state conference, this really went to the back of my mind.  Then, after state conference, it was time to catch up on everything and still it was not at the forefront.  BUT, God had a plan and put this strongly upon my heart, and I quickly went to work to make it a reality. (I mean quickly!)

Just because it was part of God's plan didn't mean it was smooth sailing the entire time.  Yes, things happened.  Oh my goodness did things happen, and at one point, I was not sure it was going to be accomplished for every state regent.  However, through it all, the one person for whom this event was meant would find her assurance from God all from placing a white carnation tied with a blue ribbon on a woman's grave.

We have several chapters in our state that had multiple members from their chapters who had served as state regents.  Sometimes these state regents were buried in the city/town where the chapter is located, and sometimes they were not.  God put in on my heart that is was important to have as many chapters in the state participate.  He also put it on my heart to have the chapters participate who were closest to the burial locations when not in the same county as the chapter.

Honorary State Regent Doris Dunn was a member of the Blue Savannah - Swamp Fox Chapter which is located in Marion; however, she was buried in Latta in Dillon County.  I contacted the Rebecca Pickens Chapter in Dillon to see if they would agree to conduct the Ceremony of Remembrance for Doris Dunn.  An e-mail correspondence began as questions about Mrs. Dunn were asked.  The Chapter Regent wanted to know if Mrs. Dunn had lived in Marion, and she sent a picture of Mrs. Dunn.  The picture was a class picture of Mrs. Dunn's 6th grade class from 1963.   

both pictures on display at the chapter meeting

As soon as I saw it, I responded that there was no doubt in my mind that that was Mrs. Dunn.  I sent to her the picture of Mrs. Dunn as State Regent.  This answer along with seeing the picture for herself almost brought the chapter regent to tears.  You see, Mrs. Dunn was her 6th grade teacher in Marion!  

I asked her to send me some information to include.  Here is what she said.
“I loved having Mrs. Dunn as my teacher.  I had the pleasure of knowing Mrs. Dunn many years before she became SC State Regent.  She was a wonderful and gracious lady, who cared about children.  I contacted my best friend from school and we shared memories of Mrs. Dunn.  Mrs. Doris Dunn taught the 6th grade at Easterling Elementary in Marion, SC in 1963.  Fortunately for us, she became our teacher.   She exemplified the teacher, all parents wanted for their children.  Mrs. Dunn was fun, energetic, fair, and enthusiastic.  Mrs. Dunn made history and literature leap off the pages, and come alive to her students.  An appreciation for learning grew.   There was the opportunity to read aloud at least once a week, building our skills in public speaking, conquering shyness, and building confidence.  In November of 1963, we learned of the assassination of President John F. Kennedy, during school.  An event such as this had never occurred in our lives.  Discussions about the act and the man responsible helped us all cope with the tragedy.  I am not surprised that she was such a success at being the SC State Regent.   At our last DAR meeting for this year, I was so excited to tell the members this story.   I had my 6th grade picture and Mrs. Dunn’s State Regent picture sitting on the table.   All of the ladies kept looking at them, so I finally told them my story.   Upon their request, I passed the pictures around, so they could look at them. Mrs. Dunn shaped the lives of many children through the years.  I feel so privileged to have been able to honor my 6th grade teacher and a wonderful SC State Regent.”


In several e-mails, I learned that Mrs. Dunn is buried in the same cemetery in which her in-laws are buried.  She said her daughter had discovered that Rebecca Pickens is in their family tree and that she had given a program on Rebecca Pickens when she first joined that chapter.  With being in the Rebecca Pickens Chapter, having Rebecca Pickens as an ancestor, and being asked to conduct the Ceremony of Remembrance for the State Regent who was her 6th grade teacher, she said, "I am where God wants me to be right now."  It brought tears to my eyes and brings tears to my eyes as I write this.

I could not have planned this if I had tried.  This was totally God at work.  The simple act of placing a white carnation tied with a blue ribbon on the grave of one of our deceased state regents reconnected a woman with a favorite teacher from her past and secured her believe that she was where she was supposed to be!


Who knew that the discovery of one scrapbook would not only affect my life but have me to affect the lives of others.  I have long felt that God is using me through my project “Reflections of Our Treasured Past,” and this was another confirmation to that fact.  What a privilege it is for God to use me to affect so many people in such special and unexpected ways!


No comments:

Post a Comment